TRANSLATE

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

June 9, 2014 Vashisht, Himachal Pradesh

Downtown Vashisht
Sunrise & Mist in the Himalayas
Vashisht is a small village about 3 km north of and on the slopes above Manali, the jumping off point for the Manali-Leh Highway, the highest in the world. Indian tourists come here for the hot spring baths, and foreign tourists for the laid-back atmosphere, hiking, and charas (hashish). Most places close from October to April due to the heavy snowfall. Some of the restaurant owners and workers go to the Goa beaches for the season and return in May.

I was referred to a guesthouse on the outskirts of town on the mountainside, and the owner came to the bus stop in Manali to pick me up. The view was good, but it afforded no privacy or quiet time. After 3 days I moved into town to the guesthouse highest up the mountain for the view. It cost less than the first one, and was a corner room with bath, balcony, WiFi, TV, and privacy. It was a good move!

My Alarm
The next morning I was awakened by a bird on the rail of my balcony. Looking out, you could see the mist above the river below as the sun rose, highlighting the snow topped peaks of the Himalayas. From here I could see more of the mountains, including the one to the north that is covered in snow...so beautiful! 

The Mall, Manali
I went to Old Manali to explore what used to be the main city. It winds up the mountain from the main part of town and has many guesthouses, restaurants, and shops. I bought a flute and hope to learn to play it! As I walked back toward town, I discovered a wonderful nature park, and paid my 5 rupees entrance fee. It was not only lovely, but a shortcut back to town. Two local women sat on the grass tending their cow that grazed nearby, as tourists pet the local dogs. The pines were tall and the grounds clean. Soon I was back in Manali and ready for lunch.
Nature Park, Manali